THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
What to do when you’ve got a jar of yummy fig spread, and a jar of delicious caramelized onions hanging out in the fridge? Make an oozy-gooey, oh so luscious grilled cheese sandwich, of course!
This decadent sandwich is easy to make, and a perfect balance between savory and sweet. Adding in chopped walnuts takes it over the top with a fun, nutty crunch. Pair it all with a glass of crisp, white wine, and maybe a fresh, green salad for good measure, and you’ve got yourself a delicious lunch!
Here’s what you need for 1 sandwich:
- 2 slices of good bread
- A couple smears of butter
- A spoonful or so of fig spread
- Thin slices of camembert
- A dollop or two of prepared caramelized onions
- A handful of chopped walnuts
What to do:
- Slather both pieces of bread on one side with butter.
- Smear the non-buttered side of one piece of bread with fig spread.
- Distribute one layer of cheese over the fig spread, followed by the caramelized onions and walnuts. Top everything with the second piece of bread, butter side up.
- Grill the whole thing on a hot skillet or griddle, flipping once, until toasty brown, and the cheese is oozy. Once it’s done, remove from the heat and let it rest a couple of minutes before slicing in half.
Enjoy with gusto!
PS – both the fig spread and the caramelized onions I used in this recipe came from my friends over at Try The World – my favorite subscription box service!