THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
Rich but fresh, savory but pleasantly sweet and tart, this fantastic combo of apples, parsnips, and spices, called pastinakensuppe mit apfel in German (or parsnip soup with apples) makes a divine autumn or winter soup!
The special recipe comes from my fellow FoodRev ambassador Aurora Tedesco, in Germany. She works with a team to develop healthy, but deliciously delectable recipes for cancer patients. This yummy soup, according to Auro, is great for patients undergoing chemotherapy, or those folks who may be experiencing some tummy upset (and don’t we all, from time to time! 😉 ). I thought it was just plain delicious!
Here’s what you need to serve 4 as a starter or 2 as a meal ~
- 2 cups veggie broth
- A lug of canola oil
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large, tart apple, peeled, cored, and roughly chopped
- 3 parsnips (about 10 ounces), peeled and roughly chopped
- salt to taste
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- yogurt for garnish
- 1-2 sprigs fresh cilantro, stems removed and discarded
What to do ~
- Warm the broth over medium heat.
- Heat the oil in a separate soup pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and sauté until just translucent.
- Add the garlic and ground spices to the onions, stir well, and continue cooking for one minute.
- Add the warmed broth to the onion and spice mix, along with the apple, parsnips, and salt to taste.
- Bring the whole thing to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, or when the parsnips are tender, remove the pot from the heat and stir in the almond milk.
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender (or upright blender if you prefer) until smooth. Give it a taste and adjust the seasons as desired.
- Serve it into soup bowls, and garnish with yogurt and cilantro leaves.
©KernGesund – Food Revolution, reposted with permission by Aurora Tedesco
Meet Aurora Tedesco…
Auro is a health project coordinator and ambassador for Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution. “I love this unique and wonderful project that aims to create healthier people in healthier cities. My team and I try new recipes every week that are quick and easy, and made with good ingredients to promote health and reduce the risk of disease. ”
You can learn more about Aurora at kerngesund-foodrevolution.de (Quick note – the site is in German. Thank goodness for Google Translate!)